UK visas: Transferring a valid visa from an expired passport

You do not normally need to transfer your valid UK visa to your new passport – you can travel with both passports, and show them both to an immigration officer when you arrive in the UK.

However, if you so wish, you can apply to have your visa transferred. You do so by completing form Transfer (VAF Oct 2011). You must submit the original visa/entry clearance in the original travel document for UK Border Agency to transfer the visa into your new passport. If you are unable to provide the original visa/entry clearance e.g. you have lost or had stolen your passport containing your original visa/entry clearance, then you must submit a fresh application (including the appropriate fee) on the relevant paper or electronic form. You must not use the Transfer form unless you can submit the original visa/entry clearance in the original passport/travel document. In addition, you should include the original supporting documents again.

There is a processing fee for transferring your visa. As at 13th April 2012, this is £102. Fees change regularly, so please check the UKBA website for current fees.

Link to the paper format Visa Transfer application form (VAF Oct 2011) on the UKBA website: please click here (this page will open in a new window)

Remember, immigration law is complex and subject to continuous change. The information provided here may be out of date, or just based on personal experience/knowledge. The use of these pages is therefore entirely at your own risk. Before applying for any type of visas, you should always seek information from the authorities direct via their official websites. You will find some useful website details on our Links page.

This entry was posted in Transferring a valid visa from an expired passport and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s