Working in the UK – non points based system work categories

This post gives an overview of work-based immigration categories outside the points-based system.

These categories are currently open to people who want to come to and work in the UK. The categories below are under review – they remain open at present but may change in the future. Details of any changes will always be published on the UKBA website so do visit their website for the most up-to-date information and requirements.

Other (Work categories)
Domestic workers (private households) The ‘domestic worker in a private household’ category allows overseas employers to bring their domestic workers with them when they visit the UK for up to 6 months. To come here as a domestic worker, you must be an established member of your employer’s staff – you must have worked for your employer for at least a year before you apply for a visa.Domestic workers include cleaners, chauffeurs, cooks, those providing personal care for the employer or a member of the employer’s family, and nannies. You must work in your employer’s household in the UK.You will be given permission to stay in the UK for up to 6 months. You must return home at the end of the 6 months or when your employer returns home, whichever is sooner. We will not extend your permission to stay past 6 months or past the time that your employer is in the UK.You are not allowed to change employer while you are in the UK or change to a different type of employment.

You cannot bring your dependants with you but they may apply to come here in their own right, for example as visitors.

Representatives of overseas businesses You may be able to come to the UK under this immigration route if you are:

  • the sole representative of an overseas company, intending to set up a wholly owned subsidiary or register a UK branch for an overseas parent company; or
  • an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation who is being posted on a long-term assignment as a representative of your overseas employer.
UK Ancestry, also see our separate post on UK Ancestry You can apply to come to the UK in this category if you can show that:

  • you are a Commonwealth citizen;
  • you are aged 17 or over;
  • you are able to work and you plan to work in the UK; and
  • you can adequately support and accommodate yourself and your dependants without help from public funds – the Rights and responsibilities section on the UKBA website explains what public funds are.

You must also show that at least 1 of your grandparents was born:

  • in the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man); or
  • before 31 March 1922 in what is now the Republic of Ireland; or
  • on a British-registered ship or aircraft.

You can claim ancestry if your relationship to the relevant grandparent is in the legitimate or illegitimate line.

You cannot claim UK ancestry through step-parents, but you can apply if you or your parent (through whom you are claiming ancestry) are adopted. You must show evidence of the legal adoption with your application form.


UKBA Application Forms and Guidance for these categories

Please note that, in terms of application forms, most applicants need to complete an electronic form. The forms listed in the table below are printed, handwritten forms. UKBA’s country finder tool will tell you if you have to submit an electronic of printed form. If you need to complete an electronic form, the application system will automatically generate the correct form for you. Please note that you will still need to print out your electronic form, and sign and date it! Please also note that all applicants, whether they need to complete an electronic form or not, have to submit a handwritten Appendix. The PBS Appendices are not (not) available via the on-line application system. You can find UKBA’s country finder tool here, and the on-line application system here.

Visa Category Application Form Guidance to complete form Supporting Documents Guidance Additional form (Appendix) to be completed Paragraph Immigration Rules
Domestic Workers in private households VAF2 Click here Click here Not applicable – see note 5 159A
Representative of Overseas Business VAF2 Click here Click here and here Not applicable 144-151
UK Ancestry VAF2 Click here Click here Not applicable 186-193
Note 5: Domestic workers in private households. Applicants in this category should carefully read UKBA’s Domestic workers information sheet, which can be found here. In addition, employers need to complete an employer’s undertaking, which can be found here.

This text is an adapation of the contents of the UKBA website. Remember, immigration law is complex and subject to continuous change. The information provided here may be out of date, or just based on personal experience/knowledge. The use of these pages is therefore entirely at your own risk. Before applying for any type of visas, you should always seek information from the authorities direct via their official websites. You will find some useful website details on our Links page.

This entry was posted in Non Points Based System Work Categories and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s